When you strip away the rhetoric, preservation is simply having the good sense to hold on to things that are well designed, that link us with our past in a meaningful way, and that have plenty of good use left in them.
– Richard Moe, National Trust for Historic Preservation
720 Consulting specializes in preparing Ohio Historic Preservation Tax Credit (OHPTC) and Federal Historic Tax Credit applications for developers and property owners. We work closely with developers, contractors/consultants, owners, tenants, and Ohio Historic Preservation Office staff throughout the entire process to ensure a successful project.
Featured Project: Color Building ($14.1 million project costs)
This ornate Italianate-style building was built as a union hall in Over-the-Rhine, and the third floor once included a boxing ring where Cincinnati legend and former heavyweight champion Ezzard Mack Charles trained. Later it was it was home to the Cincinnati Color Company paint store for four decades. In 2012-2013, it was renovated as a commercial building using Federal and Ohio historic tax incentives and now houses a restaurant – KAZE – and the offices of CORE Resources. The Cincinnati Preservation Association presented this project a Rehabilitation Award for preservation excellence in 2014, and an image of the completed project graced the cover of the Round 13 Ohio Historic Preservation Tax Credit application.
Featured Project: Ophthalmic Hospital & Free Clinic ($7.3 million project costs)
The two buildings that comprise the Ophthalmic Hospital and Free Dispensary at 208-214 W. 12th Street represent remarkably intact examples of the Colonial Revival style in Over-the-Rhine, a historic district better known for its Italianate style structures. Built c. 1895, the 4½-story brick building represents the older structure, and it was likely built for The Ophthalmic Hospital. It included two operating rooms, with hospital beds on the second and third floors, and four residential apartments for hospital staff in the attic. The adjacent 2-story brick building served as the hospital clinic and was added c. 1907.
For nearly 90 years, the property served exclusively as a hospital, medical office and/or health center – tending to the physical health and well being of the city’s residents. It is a rare surviving remnant of a cluster of medical institutions once located in this area of Over-the-Rhine such as the Miami Medical College (143 W. 12th Street), Cincinnati Hospital (12th and Central Parkway), and the Orphan Asylum (Elm and Grant Streets), later used as a hospital for infectious disease. Now vacant, the buildings at 208-214 W. 12th Street will be renovated for a restaurant, bar, and a small boutique hotel using Ohio and Federal historic tax incentives.